November 17, 2022
Written by

What’s new about inequality in East Asia?  released its 2022 annual inequality data update for East Asia.

Overall, we observe an alarming increase in both wealth and income inequalities in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan over the past four decades. Despite high economic growth, the distribution of the growth benefits has been very unequal across the populations of these economies. The top 10% richest individuals (in all of the three countries/regions) seem to have gained the most from the economic liberalization of Mainland China over the past four decades, while the rest 90% of the distribution have lost out. Specific policies aiming at reducing income gaps are urgently needed for the sustainable development of the region in the future.

Link to Issue Brief by Zhexun Mo.

Link to Technical Note by Zhexun Mo.

Contact’s East Asia Coordinator for any question about the data:

For further media enquiries: